I have been in sales for almost 30 years and have always been extremely blessed to maintain a very high closing percentage. I have customers that have followed me personally through several companies and stayed with me throughout my sales career. I attribute this to many things, but here a few keys to success:
- Qualify the opportunity-I have seen so many salespeople waste time on prospects that really aren’t good opportunities. If they don’t have a need, impending event, pain point, or budget, move on to someone else. A mere “interest” isn’t necessarily enough to spend a lot of time with. We are always marketing ourselves and products for future business, but manage your time with the majority focused on timely opportunities.
- Offer a product or service you believe in- If you don’t believe in your product or service offering, or even worse aren’t happy with the company you are working for, you will “never” have a high closing ratio. Unless you are completely unethical, it is just wrong to try to sell something that you don’t “feel good” about.
- Listen-Listening to a prospect is a developed skill. If you do a good job of listening you can uncover what their real pain points and buying criteria really are. If you do a good job of this, the selling part is easy. I have witnessed other salespeople talk too much and not listen enough. When the customer agrees to buy, “shut up”.
- Complete Honesty-Always be completely honest with your prospect. If you don’t know the answer, tell them that, and then tell them you will find out and get back to them. Do not make things up or tell people what they want to hear. Even worse, never intentionally lie to a prospect. I once worked for a company where I witnessed the Top Ranking official of the company lie to a customer intentionally just to get them to buy. Your long term credibility resides on truthfulness. People will buy from you the first time because they like you, but they will buy again because they trust you.
- Fill the need and ask for the business-I once had a manager that thought that the “art of selling” was to convince someone to buy something they really don’t need. Nothing can be further from the truth. Real selling is listening to a prospect, understanding their need, providing the best solution, and then asking for the business. Never oversell or try to convince them to buy something they don’t need as they will be unhappy with you in the long term.
Our closing percentages at HostMyCalls is between 80-85%, which is unheard of in this industry. We have a great product, a great service, and a great company. We also help our agents throughout the entire sales process and thrive on providing our end user customers the absolute best bang for their buck.
If you are looking for a top VOIP provider that can help you increase your closing percentages, reach out to me and let’s discuss our Hosted Platform (UCaaS)!